The powerful Mercedes GL Class
SUV isone of the few large sized luxury SUV's with a unibody platform; if not the ONLY one. That makes it a crossover. The GL will actually seat 7. It can be had with a diesel V6; the GL350 BlueTEC, a 335hp 4.6 liter V8; the GL450 or the anti-social 381hp 5.5 liter V8.
The GL320 BlueTEC Diesel is the lowest cost GL, but I think for the small difference, the gas engined GL450 will be the better choice. The diesel will set you back $60,950.
- 210hp, turbocharged DOHC 24-valve Aluminum V-6 and the 7 speed automatic transmission
- 5,313 lbs on a big 121.1 inch wheelbase
- Driver activated Downhill Speed Regulation
- Four-wheel air suspension with spring-struts.
- Vehicle level raised by up to 3" via a button on the dashboard.
- Electronic Stability Program
- 8.5" x 20" Aluminum wheels, with 275/50 R20, all-season run-flat tires
- Dual-circuit power-assist 4-wheel disc brakes w/ABS and Brake Assist
- Rear-window wiper with washer.
- Electrically heated rear window w/auto-shutoff based on time, speed, and outside temperature.
- Black protective-coated roof rails (with 220-lb roof load capacity).
- Halogen headlamps and front foglamps. Single red rear foglamp in lefttaillamp.
- Cruise Control
- Dual Zone Climate Control
- 8-way power-adjustable heated front seats. Driver-adjustable lumbar support.
- 2nd-row 60/40-split-folding rear seatbacks, 3rd-row split-folding power seatbacks.
- 8 speaker audio system
- Fuel Usage: Ultra low sulphur or B5 bio-diesel yielding 17 mpg city/21 mpg highway
The 5 passenger Lexus LS sedan with AWD
is available as the LS 460 or the $105,885 LS 600h L
powered by a 5 liter V8 hybrid powertrain.The standard AWD LS 460 with 357hp will run a 1/4 mile in 14.3 seconds, while the same engine in the 460 L version delivers 380hp. The "L" version bumps the wheelbase from 116.9" up to 121.7" . Both are backed by an 8 speed (yes, 8 speed) automatic transmission. MSRP for the 2009 AWD LS 460 is listed at $67,200
- 357 hp from a 32 valve, 4 cam 6 liter V8 with 11.8 to 1 compression
- Eight-speed sequential-shift automatic tranny
- 4,730 lbs on the 116.9 inch wheelbase
- Four-sensor, four-channel, four-wheel power-assisted ABS disc brakes
- 18" x 7.5" nine-spoke aluminum alloy wheels with 235/50R18 V-Rated all-season tires (Lexus warns not to expect more than about 13,000 miles from these tires, so figure on about a grand a year for rubber.)
- 16-way driver's seat (including dual-function lumbar) and 12-way front passenger's seat (including lumbar) power seats
- Heated steering wheel (but heated seats are optional)
- Power tilt-and-telescopic steering column with automatic tilt-away
- Cruise Control
- Dual zone automatic climate control with filtration
- 10 spaeaker Premium Sound System and in-dash, single-feed, six-disc CD auto-changer
- HID headlamps and Integrated foglamps
- Engine immobilizer
- Fuel Usage: 91 Octane, yielding 16 mpg city/23 mpg highway
The Audi A8
sedan has 3 upgrades available. The A8 L
has a stretched wheelbase option and the A8 LW12
variant keeps that long wheelbase, and adds a 450hp motor along with a host of upgrades to justufy the $119,350 price tag. The sporty S8
is also available for $92,000. A8 prices start at
- 350hp 4.2 liter 12.5:1 compression V8 (premium fuel)
- 6-speed Tiptronic® transmission
- Quattro® IV - permanent all-wheel drive system, includes Torsen® torque sensing center differential
- Air Suspension Struts at all four wheels
- Air Strut damping charactersitics w/4 settings: Dynamic, Standard, Lift, and Automatic
- Dual circuit brake system with diagonal split ABS, Electronic Brake pressure Distribution and Electronic Stabilization Program; tandem brake booster
- 0 - 62mph in 6.3 seconds
- Dual climate control air conditioning with separate driver and front passenger
- Bose® premium 12-speaker audio w/5-channel surround sound
- 18" highly polished cast alloy wheels w/ 255/45 R 18 all-season tires
- 16-way power adjustable front seats with memory system
- Fuel Usage: 91 Octane, yielding 18 mpg city/24 mpg highway